Monday, October 26, 2009

Mother's Men



I know it's easy to believe that racism has passed, but this is a wonderfully disgusting example of how it still exists right before our eyes.

Slamites, I'll be honest, me telling the story will be completely biased, because several of these men are my friends and colleagues. I'll link you all to the story from CNN, but I'll give a big shoutout to www.studlife.com for their continued coverage of this event.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/25/illinois.bar.racism.allegations/index.html

As a black male college student, I have been a victim of racial profiling and discrimination not only outside of WashU, but inside it. I have had my status as a student questioned, my motives questioned, been cuffed, kicked out of establishments, been feared, etc. To many black males, this is day-to-day life, and I was skeptical when I first heard that something could actually be done about this event. I have been told to "get over it." I have been told to "toughen up." I have been told that "this is the way things are."

It may be the way things are, but we have the power to change things. This may seem trivial to some, but every victory sends a message to the nation at large: Racism will NOT be tolerated.

That's all I have to say on the matter.
~AD

(Make sure you go to the Town Hall discussion tonight (Monday) at 8pm in LabSci 300. For directions, email gmjackso@wustl.edu)

No comments: